Friday, December 7, 2007

Of Pop-Tarts and Potty Breaks

On hearing the news about the birth of my second son, one of my friends responded by saying, "Two boys!? You're going to be so thin!" Leaving aside the feeling that my weight has suddenly dropped to one of the last priorities in my life, I see her point. Chasing two high energy boys around is sure to blast through amazing amounts of calories.

But I'm guessing it won't do me any good unless I manage to eat something besides Pop-Tarts and McDonald's.

What I really love are all those articles on healthy eating that recommend prepping healthy snacks ahead of time so they're just as easy to grab as, say, that 5th Pop-Tart and 2nd soda of the day. Not that I actually eat like that. Not every day.

One tiny prolem with this method. It assumes that you lack time as you're running out the door (or as your newborn is screaming to be nursed, etc.), but that you can fit this activity into your schedule at some other time. I know things will not always be this crunched, but right now I don't have extra time...ever.

And even if I do manage to find myself with 45 minutes alone on Sunday afternoon, I will not be in the kitchen chopping veggies and dividing pretzels into individual serving size portions. I will be filling those precious moments with all the excitement of napping, or cutting my nails, or maybe even going to the bathroom...by myself! Just thinking about that is enough to get me through the next 15 minutes.

No comments: