Monday, July 2, 2007

Not MY Happiest Place

So, Disneyland. I have to start by telling you that my husband and his family are all huge fans of the amusement park. My mother-in-law in particular is horrified whenever I express my distaste for it.

But the whole thing just seems so...manufactured. It feels so forced and not genuine, as if everyone is thinking, "We paid so much money to get into this place that we're going to have fun come hell or high water!"

Put together those kinds of crowds and the outrageous prices, and I'm not sure it isn't one of my versions of hell.

I can't be the only person out there who feels like I paid a huge sum of money for the privilege of standing in lines all day. You stand in line to get in. You stand in line for rides. You stand in line for the bathroom. You stand in line to get something to eat. You stand in line for a picture with a character. You stand in line to get out of the place!

I was 17 when I went to Disney World and 18 the first time I visited Disneyland. Was I too old by then to be lulled into the sweet caress of a fairy tale land? I had oodles of fun during both trips. Of course I went to both parks with my marching band (high school and college), and I'm pretty sure we could have managed to have fun in an open stretch of asphalt.

We also had dinner at Medieval Times, that place where you get to watch the jousting. More manufactured fun! It's a strange day indeed when I find myself yearning for a nice, quiet camping trip.

We also spent a few extra days in Yuma on the way out and back so we just got home yesterday. And M doesn't have to work this week either! I'm going to be so spoiled that when next Monday rolls around, and I have Q all to myself, I may go into shock.

No comments: