Tuesday, May 15, 2007

But I Don't Wanna!

Have you heard the advice, "Do one thing every day that scares you"? If you haven't, congratulations, you have avoided the sinkhole of self-help. I think it might be more helpful if I did one thing every day that I didn't want to do.

This could be helpful in getting all kinds of housework done. Not to mention exercise. Mostly I want to get in the habit (again) of doing momentarily distasteful tasks so I can enjoy the long term payoffs. Like a bathroom that doesn't gross me out and a smaller dress size. And eventually, hopefully, a more satisfying life.


Actually I already started this yesterday. I did all the laundry in the house, at least 3 more loads than I had to do to have clean clothes. And instead of just piling all the clean stuff in the basket to be picked through during the week, I folded it all as soon as it came out of the dryer and put it all away. Probably something that most of you manage to get done without some fancy mental footwork, but that just proves how far down the path of lazy and pathetic that I've gone.

Since M is on his way to London for the week, the boy and I are headed to Phoenix later. As a dear friend of mine once said of going from Tucson to Phoenix, "...from Hell's doorstep to Hell proper." But at least I'll get my Ikea fix!

No comments: