Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Strange Encounters

I had a bizarre encounter today at a local Starbucks. Q and I had gone to Lowe's to pick up a few pots and potting soil (just wait, I plan on recording my trials and tribulations as a new gardener here) and then walked across the parking lot to the "chocolate milk store".

We ended up waiting for a really long time because our drinks got forgotten (but they gave me 2 free drink coupons and Q had fun flirting with a little girl so it's not like we really minded). We'd been sitting in 2 arm chairs, but when Q got up to look at a collection of travel mugs, a middle aged fellow stole Q's chair. There were plenty of other places to sit, but I decided it would be silly to make a scene just to keep a chair for a 3 year old. I figured the guy probably just liked children if he chose to sit there.

Ummmmmm, no, not really. Apparently he sat there so he could start a conversation with me about the evil sacrifices of parenthood and impress on me how much more evolved he was since he hadn't succumbed to the crushing, biological imperative to procreate. Perhaps he never had children because no woman is crazy enough to spend that kind of quality time with him. And let's be clear, I've known some pretty crazy women over the years.

Tell me, what is the proper response to the seemingly fully functional adult (i.e. he didn't appear to be a mentally unstable or cracked out homeless person) who chooses to tell your 3 year old, "You know, the world doesn't revolve around you, buddy!"?

Maybe it wouldn't have annoyed me so much if Q had been running wild or just generally being a pain. But he was being his usual, adorable, and fairly well mannered self. Maybe Mr. Middle Aged Rude Guy needs to be reminded that the world doesn't revolve around him either.

No comments: