Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Time for a Diet...

...a media diet, that is. It dawned on me while I was browsing through some of my favorite blogs this weekend that I'm spending precious time reading things that make me feel worse about myself. I originally considered the blogs I added to my favorites folder to be inspiration, but these days they just inspire me to feel lousy about all the things I'm not doing. And maybe I'm not doing those things because I'm wasting so much time reading blogs?

I'm also going to take a serious look at my TV viewing. For years I was never much of a TV watcher. I lived without TV for two years and without cable for another year (big thank you to P and V for letting me watch X-Files at their houses for those two years!). And amazingly enough in those 3 years I had plenty of time to do theater and take dance classes and do tons of crafts. OK, to be fair, I also wasn't a mother back then, but I'm willing to bet I would still have more time to do the things I miss if I wasn't glued to the boob tube all the time.

I love our DVR- how else would I have ever been able to see and fall madly in love with The Daily Show (because I'm lucky if I make it past 8:30 most nights)? But it's far too easy to record all sorts of things that suck your brain out. And it's not wasting a whole hour because I can fast forward through the commercials! Ah, justification...

No comments: