Monday, September 10, 2007

The Endurance Test Begins

This morning my Monkey Man left the house at an ungodly hour to get on a series of planes that will deposit him in China within the next 24 hours. He travels regularly, although not constantly, for work so this is really nothing new. What is new is that he'll be gone for 12 days. 12 days!

Let me be perfectly clear - single parents are my heros. I've only had to pull single parent duty for a few days, maybe a week, at a time, and I am not cut out for that kind of responsibility and work. I've been quite anxious about getting through these next 12 days without going completely insane.

Cuddling in bed last night, Monkey Man tells me he knows I'm anxious about it, but he's not really too worried about me. He tells me I'm a tough broad, that I've made it through worse. This made me laugh. I hadn't thought about it with that sort of perspective, but I have slogged my way through worse situations. Today I seem to have tapped into that reserve of confidence that I often forget I have at my disposal.

Isn't it funny how just the right words, at just the right moment, can completely change your view? So it's not poetry and breakfast in bed, but I'll take it. Of course it is only day 1...

No comments: